Sunday, January 12, 2014

If Wheather

Noun clauses with whether or if adalah klausa nomina yang diawali dengan conjunctions whether atau if yang dipakai untuk menyatakan suatu kemungkinan atau ketidakpastian. Dalam bahasa Indonesia, keduanya dapat diartikan apakah.

Di dalam kalimat yang mengandung noun clauses with whether or if, kata whether sering diikuti oleh frase or not.


Kata kerja (verbs) yang umum digunakan bersama dengan whether atau if adalah:
 
know, announce, ask, argue, discuss, doubt, indicate, mention, say, suggest, debate, explain, inquire, reveal, state, tell, care, consider, determine, judge, learn, observe, wonder, choose, decide, notice, see


Contoh:

- I do not know whether he has no money or not.


- I am not sure if she is at home.


- Whether or not he has had a job is not my business.


- Do you know if he is a police?


- We always think about her whether she is in a good condition or not.


- She never indicated whether she was pleased or not. 


- See whether the children are ready to go or not.


- I do not notice whether Emmy is sick


Catatan:

Whether lebih sering dipakai dalam bahasa Inggris formal, sedangkan if lebih umum digunakan dalam percakapan.

Contoh pemakaian whether dan if: 


- I don’t know whether she will come.
 
- I don’t know whether she will come or not.
 
- I don’t know if she will come.
 
- I don’t know if she will come or not.
 
- I wonder whether he needs help.
 
- I wonder whether he needs help or not.
 
- I wonder if he needs help.
 
- I wonder if he needs help or not.
 
- I don’t know whether this problem can be solved.
 
- I don’t know whether this problem can be solved or not.
 
- I don’t know if this problem can be solved.
 
- I don’t know if this problem can be solved or not.

Or not juga bisa langsung dipakai di belakang whether:
 
- I don’t know whether or not she will come.
 
- I wonder whether or not he needs help.
 
- I don’t know whether or not this problem can be solved.

Untuk verba discuss, argue, dan debate, konjungsi whether lebih lazim digunakan daripada if.
 
- Well, I’m not going to discuss whether or not it was a proper decision.
 
- You can argue whether or not they should be doing this.
 
- Let the economists and politicians debate whether the American economy is in a recession.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment